Teeth and gums
Healthy teeth will last a lifetime.
- A good diet is important to prevent cavities and tooth decay. Make sure you and your whānau know what foods, snacks and drinks are healthy.
- It’s also important to brush your teeth in the morning and before going to bed. Use a fluoride toothpaste to help build strong teeth and floss regularly (daily is best).
- Visit your dentist or dental therapist regularly. They have special equipment and techniques for cleaning your teeth, and it’s cheaper to get problems fixed early.
Let’s Talk Teeth
- It’s easy to protect your family’s smile
Information for parents and caregivers
- Keep your smile looking good – easy as!
Information for teenagers and adults
Find out more from the Ministry
Access information related to the Ministry's work in oral health:
- Oral health – Information on child and teenage dental care; dental care guidance for caregivers of older people; and oral health resources.
- Oral health data and stats – Statistical publications and data sets on oral health.
- Fluoridation – What is fluoride, where does it come from, why water fluoridation is a safe, effective and affordable way to prevent and reduce tooth decay across the whole population.
In this section
- Find out how to take care of your child’s teeth, and learn about the free dental checks and treatment available for children and teenagers 17 or younger. Read more
- Advice on protecting yourself from tooth decay, tooth erosion and gum disease, and guidance on brushing and flossing. Read more
- What to do for knocked-out, broken, chipped or displaced teeth and other mouth injuries. Read more
- Fluoride helps protect our teeth by making them stronger and reducing tooth decay. Access resources that tell you more about fluoride and water fluoridation. Read more
Keeping Your Teeth for a Lifetime ... Easy As
Available from the Healthy Smiles website.
Keep Your Smile Looking Good ... Easy As wallet cards (PDF, 216 KB)
Available in bulk on request – contact the New Zealand Dental Association (09 579 8001).
Tips for a Healthy Smile
A Ministry of Health publication
It’s Easy to Protect Your Family’s Smile
Available on HealthEd in multiple languages
Caring for Teeth
Available on HealthEd
Advice on oral health from the New Zealand Dental Association.
Developed by the Starship Foundation and the Paediatric Society of New Zealand.
Age Concern NZ
An organisation working to promote the wellbeing of older people.
Better Health Channel
How to look after your teeth (note that some of this information is targeted at Australians).