Sometimes the best medicine is a dose of physical activity!
What is a Green Prescription?
A Green Prescription is written advice from a health professional (usually your doctor or practice nurse) to be ACTIVE and improve your diet. It’s a support service that helps you to improve your health and feel better at the same time.
If you need help to get more active and make healthy food choices, speak to your doctor or practice nurse. Your doctor or nurse may refer you because you are overweight, or have a medical condition which is stable, such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure or depression, and you would benefit from being more active.
How a Green Prescription can help
Being physically active has many benefits. Not only does it make you feel good, it can also help you to:
- Feel more confident, happy and relaxed
- Have more energy
- Improve cholesterol levels
- Improve blood sugar levels
- Maintain a healthy weight when combined with healthy food choices
- Reduce stress, feelings of anxiety and depression
- Lower blood pressure
- Improve sleeping habits
- Keep your bones strong
- Cope better with asthma and breathing problems
- Increase flexibility, mobility and reduce the pain of arthritis
- Reduce the risk of some types of cancer
- Reduce the risk of falling
How to get a Green Prescription
Ask your doctor or practice nurse about a Green Prescription or phone 0800 ACTIVE (22 84 83).
Once you receive your Green Prescription, a trained support person will get in touch and help you get started with a physical activity programme that‘s right for you and talk with you about improving your nutrition.
You’ll get help with planning regular physical activity to help you stay active. There’s also the chance to meet and join other people in your community who are choosing to be more active just like you.
Find out more
Advice for people who are inactive and would like to add more physical activity to their lives.
If your child is inactive and overweight, the Active Families programme can help them to lead a healthier, more active lifestyle.
You can download a number of guides to help you and your family get active.
Information for health professionals
- How the Green Prescription process works
- Research into the effectiveness of GRx programmes
- Resources for health professionals
- Regional contact details for Green Prescription and Active Familes programmes.