Website information, resources and tools for those concerned for someone who may have a problem with alcohol or drug use.
These resources offer information, advice and strategies to help you cope with someone's alcohol or drug use.
Advice for parents and caregivers – Alcohol.org.nz. Practical advice and resources if you're concerned about a young person's drinking.
How to talk about it – Alcohol.org.nz. Advice on talking with someone about the impact of their drinking on themselves or others.
Community Alcohol and Drug Services (CADS) provides free treatment and support to those with alcohol and other drug problems and to family and support people who can access their own support from CADS Auckland.
Concerned about someone? – Drug Help. A website for people who are concerned about how drugs are affecting their lives – whether it’s because of their own use or because someone close to them has a problem.
Kina: Families and Addictions Trust:
- You are not alone – Support, resources and strategies for coping with a partner or friend using alcohol and other drugs.
- Join a group – Watch a video about how joining a friends and family support group can help.
- Living Well (pdf, 3MB) – Booklet with strategies for family, whānau, and friends of people using alcohol and other drugs.
A website for people who are concerned about how drugs are affecting their lives – whether it’s because of their own use or because someone close to them has a problem.
Alcohol use apps – Health Navigator website.
Free app downloads for keep track of a person's drinking habits and alcohol consumption.
Is your drinking okay? – Alcohol.org.nz. Online quiz about drinking habits.
New Zealand 'P' Pull – Facebook – Group offering support for problems with methamphetamine (meth, P).
Freephone, text, online chat support
Alcohol and Drug Helpline
Talk, text or online chat with trained staff who can put you in touch with someone in your area.
- General helpline: phone 0800 787 797, text 868
- Māori Helpline – kaupapa Māori support services: phone 0800 787 798, text 8681
- Pasika Helpline – Pacific support services: phone 0800 787 799, text 8681
- Youth Helpline – support for working through issues affecting young people: phone 0800 787 984, text 8681
You can send feedback about information on this page by using the Feedback form.