Home and Community Support Services

Home and Community Support Services funded by the Ministry are services to help you live at home. They can help with both household management and personal care.

Household management may include help with:

  • meal preparation
  • washing, drying or folding clothes
  • house-cleaning, vacuuming and tidying up.

Personal care may include help with:

  • eating and drinking
  • getting dressed and undressed
  • getting up in the morning and getting ready for bed
  • showering and going to the toilet
  • getting around your home.

Who can get Ministry-funded Home and Community Support Services

You can get Home and Community Support Services if you:

  • are under 65 years old
  • meet Disability Support Services’ eligibility requirements
  • have had a needs assessment saying you need home-based support services.

Household management is only available to:

  • people who have a Community Services Card
  • children under the age of 16 whose parents/caregivers have a Community Services Card.

Whether or not you can get a Community Services Card depends on income and family size. Visit the Work and Income website to find out more.

If you are over 65 or have a chronic long-term illness and you think you need household management and/or personal care to help you live at home, please contact your local district health board for more information.

Getting Home and Community Support Services

You’ll need to contact a Needs Assessment Service Coordination (NASC) organisation. Go to Needs Assessment and Service Coordination to find the contact details for your local NASC, and more information about the process. Your doctor or health professional should also be able to refer you.

You can have an advocate, carer or a member of your family/whānau/aiga with you while you are going through this process.

The NASC will assess what support you need to live an everyday life. They’ll work with you to find out your goals and determine what kind of home and community support services you will need, paid for by Disability Support Services.

The NASC will also talk with you about which service providers in your area are able to provide you with a support worker.

Service providers

Service providers are contracted by the Ministry to provide Home and Community Support Services.

After you have selected a service provider, the NASC will send information about you to them and a person from that service will contact you.

The service provider will prepare an individual plan with you, which may include things like:

  • what you can do for yourself and what you need help with
  • any things the support worker needs to know about your culture or the way you like to do things
  • any things that the support worker needs to know about your home, for example, if you have a dog
  • what days or time of day you would prefer to get support.

There will be other things the service provider will discuss with you, and if you have any concerns or questions about the service they should be able to answer them for you.

They should also tell you what to do if you want to make a complaint or if you are worried about the support you are receiving.

Find out more from the Ministry

View the Service specifications for Home and Community Support Service providers. The service specification describes what services the Ministry expects the provider to provide.

Back to top