Help with costs for hearing loss

If you aren’t eligible for funding for hearing aids or equipment, you may still be able to get help with costs.

Hearing aid fund

If you have financial difficulties and can’t get assistance from government agencies, the NZ Audiological Society (NZAS) may be able to help. The NZAS has a limited amount of money available to help those in the greatest need.

If you feel you are in this situation and need help to buy a hearing aid, contact your NZAS audiologist for further information and the application form.

Work and Income

Financial help may also be available, including:

  • Disability Allowance: The Disability Allowance is for people who have ongoing extra costs because of a disability or illness. This allowance can be paid for both children under 18 years and adults. It can help pay for things like regular visits to the doctor, prescriptions, travel because of ill health or disability and hearing aid batteries.
  • Child Disability Allowance: This allowance is for the main carer of a child or young person under 18 years who has a serious illness or disability and needs constant care and attention.
  • There are also a number of payments or advances available from Work and Income if you can’t pay for immediate and essential items. Work and Income will look at your financial situation to see what help is available – you don’t have to be on a benefit to get some of this help.

For more information, contact Work and Income on 0800 559 009.

If you are Deaf, hearing-impaired, or find it hard to communicate by telephone, you can contact Work and Income on:

  • Deaf Link free-fax: 0800 621 621
  • Telephone typewriter (TTY): 0800 111 113
  • Text: 029 286 7170
  • Email: [email protected].
Back to top