Other places to complain

If you want to complain about a Ministry-funded disability support service, but don't want to use the Ministry of Health's complaints process, there are a number of other places you can go.

Health and Disability Commissioner

The HDC is an independent agency that helps resolve problems between consumers and providers of health and disability services.

For complaints about: any health or disability service, or person in New Zealand who has provided a health or disability service. This includes public and private services, paid and unpaid services, hospitals and rest homes, and individuals such as nurses, doctors, dentists, pharmacists, chiropractors, naturopaths, and caregivers.

Contact details

HealthCERT at the Ministry of Health

For complaints about: rest homes and residential disability supports with over five beds.

Contact details

Oranga Tamariki – Ministry for Children

For complaints about: the safety and wellbeing of a child or young person (including those with a disability).

Contact details

The New Zealand Police

For complaints about: a criminal act.

Contact details

  • Contact 111 when an emergency response is needed.
  • Use 105.police.govt.nz for non-emergency reporting.

Human Rights Commission

For complaints about: discrimination on the grounds of disability, sex, race, age, industrial activity, marital status, parental status, carer status, political or religious beliefs, sexual orientation or pregnancy.

The HRC helps people to prepare statements and lodge a complaint, and then mediates between parties to resolve the complaint.

Contact details

The Office of the Ombudsman

For complaints about: the administrative conduct of state sector agencies. You must be personally affected to complain.

Contact details

Ministry of Social Development

For complaints about: a decision the Ministry of Social Development has made about your income support, pension or an application you have made.

Contact details

The Privacy Commissioner

For complaints about: actions that may be a breach of your privacy rights.

Contact details

Back to top