How to make a complaint

How to complain about a Ministry-funded disability support service.

Other ways to read the information on this page:

Complain to the service provider

If you have a concern or complaint about your current service provider or disability supports, we encourage you to first speak to the people who support you or their managers. Often issues can be resolved straight away. They are there to support you and should listen to you.

If you like you can have a family member, friend, or an advocate present when you meet with your service provider.

Whether you make your complaint in person, in writing or anonymously, the service provider must deal with your complaint.

Complain to the Ministry of Health

If you feel unable to make a complaint to the organisation that provides your disability support services, or if you want to take your complaint further you can complain to the Ministry of Health using one of these options.

When you complain the information you give us is completely confidential.

Download and complete our complaint form

Once you’ve completed the form, email it to [email protected] or mail it to DSS Complaints, Ministry of Health, PO Box 5013, Wellington 6140.

Email or phone us

  • Email us at [email protected].
  • Phone 0800 DSD MOH (0800 855 066)
    Select option 4 and say you would like to make a complaint about a disability service.

Use the NZ Relay Service

Contact the New Zealand Relay Service on 0800 771 771 for help making a complaint.

Relay services are for people who are deaf, hearing impaired, deafblind, and for those with speech impairments who want to communicate with friends, family or organisations. Find out more about the New Zealand Relay Service.

Other places to complain

There are a range of other places you can go to complain. See Other places to complain.

Resources to help with your complaint

For general information and advice, see More information about making a complaint about disability services.

Download our Making a complaint resource in other languages

In this section

  • Me pēhea e tuku amuamu mō tētahi ratonga tautoko whaikaha e utua ana e te Manatū. How to complain about a Ministry-funded disability support service - Māori language version. Read more
Back to top