West Coast DHB
- you can be referred by your GP, or
- call the Sexual Health Clinic in Grey/Westland (Monday 2pm to 6pm): (03) 769 7400 extension 2874, or
- call the Sexual Health Clinic in Buller (Monday 11am to 4pm): (03) 788 9030 extension 8756
For counselling or support contact:
- the pregnancy counsellor / social worker at Buller Hospital in Westport (covers the region from Karamea to Reefton): (03) 788 9030, or
- the pregnancy counsellor / social worker for Hokitika, South Westland: (03) 756 9700, or
- the Social Work Clinical leader West Coast DHB: (03) 769 7400 Cell phone 0277021302
Greymouth Sexual Health Clinic
Community Services, Lower ground floor, Old Grey Base Hospital facility, South West entrance.
No appointment needed Monday 2:30pm to 6pm.
Westport Sexual Health Clinic
Kawatiri Ward, Buller Health
Appointments Monday 10:30am to 11:30am or drop in without an appointment between 11:30am and 4:30pm
|Monday/ Rāhina||Greymouth Sexual Health Clinic 2:30pm to 6pm (please arrive by 5:30pm)
Westport Sexual Health Clinic 10:30am to 4:30pm
A qualified pregnancy counsellor / social worker is based in Te Nikau, Westport and Hokitika. They provide pregnancy counselling to everyone from Greymouth to Haast.
Social Workers are based at Buller, Greymouth and Hokitika health facilities and are available Monday to Friday 8am to 4:30pm.
|Early Medical Abortion (EMA)||Referral for EMA|
|Surgical Abortion||Referral for surgical abortion|
|Second Trimester Service||Referral for second trimester abortion|
Patient information / what to expect
There is no local abortion service on the West Coast. Patients are usually referred to the Gynaecology Procedure Unit in Christchurch for abortion care, although they can be referred to Nelson or Dunedin if this is more geographically appropriate.
The pathway to abortion services
Go to your GP practice so that your primary care team can refer you for blood tests and an ultrasound scan (at no cost). This will confirm the pregnancy and dates. The primary care team also refers patients to Christchurch Women's Hospital and the West Coast DHB social work service. The social work team will contact you directly.
You can also get a referral from the sexual health clinic.
Abortion services and related counselling services are free to any pregnant person who is eligible for publicly funded health care.
Travel and accommodation assistance can be provided to eligible patients. This is approved by a DHB Social Worker.