International standard ISO/IEC 11179 Information technology - Metadata registries is endorsed by HISO as the standard for creating and presenting data element definitions. The standard provides rules for the naming, definition and representation of data elements, value domains and associated data constructs. By following the standard in our data set specifications and database designs, we support an interoperable and data-driven health and disability system.
The standard has these parts:
- ISO/IEC 11179-1:2015 Part 1: Framework
- ISO/IEC 11179-2:2019 Part 2: Classification
- ISO/IEC 11179-3:2013 Part 3: Registry metamodel and basic attributes
- ISO/IEC 11179-4:2004 Part 4: Formulation of data definitions
- ISO/IEC 11179-5:2015 Part 5: Naming principles
- ISO/IEC 11179-6:2015 Part 6: Registration
- ISO/IEC 11179-7:2019 Part 7: Metamodel for data set registration
The key parts of the standard are freely available on the ISO web page for publicly available standards.
For more information, contact [email protected]