This booklet is intended as a general guide for those people who may be considering standing for a district health board.
- how district health boards work
- who can be a candidate
- the nomination process
- the election campaign and voting system used
- and what happens after the election.
Intending candidates should be aware of the following important dates for the 2019 DHB elections.
- 19 July - Nominations open.
- 16 August - Nominations close (at 12 noon).
- 20-25 September - Voting documents are issued – the start of the voting period, special votes are issued and early processing of votes begins.
- 12 October - Election day – the end of the voting period (at 12 noon) and announcement of preliminary results (as soon as practical after the close of voting).
- 17-23 October (or as soon as possible afterwards) - Special votes are counted and official results declared.
- 9 December - Newly elected board members take office.