Please note that the private hospital data included in this report is not complete, as not all private hospitals report their data to the Ministry of Health.
This statistical data contains national data in tabular form, detailing the numbers of patients discharged from, and procedures carried out in, privately funded hospitals.
The statistical data highlights the following facts:
Discharges from privately funded hospitals
- In 2004/05 there were 86,847 discharges from privately funded hospitals.
- Females accounted for 54.7 percent of 2004/05 discharges from privately funded hospitals.
- Inpatient hospitalisations (36,267) were 41.8 percent of total discharges with the remaining 50,580 discharged as daycases.
Total population, by age
- Of the total discharges, the largest age group represented was the 55-59 year olds (8,891 or 10.2%) closely followed by the 50-54 year group (8154 or 9.4%).
Total population, discharge rates
- The age-standardised discharge rate for 2004/05 was1,904 per 100,000 population
Total numbers of procedures undertaken in privately funded hospitals
- In 2004/05 there were 162,331 procedures undertaken in privately funded hospitals
- Females accounted for 55.5 percent of 2004/05 operations undertaken in private hospitals
- 57 percent of all procedures (93,336) were undertaken as a daycase.