Community Residential Support Services: What you need to know

Published online: 
02 June 2009
Community Residential Support Services cover image


This booklet is published by Disability Support Services. An easy-to-read version is also available.

'Community Residential Support Services: What you need to know' provides information on how to access community residential support services funded by the Ministry of Health, and the rights of disabled people who live in these services.

It covers things disabled people thinking of living in (or already living in) residential services, and their families and whanau, need to know - such as:

  • What are my rights and responsibilities?
  • What are community residential support services and who are they for?
  • How can I find out about going to live in community residential support services?
  • What is a home agreement?
  • What happens if my needs change?
  • What about money – who pays for these services?
  • What happens day-to-day in a home?
  • Can I choose my own doctor (etc) and who pays for these services?
  • Can I have my own personal equipment?
  • What about transport out and about in the community?

The Appendix has more information on rights and access to services for particular groups. It also has more information on benefits and financial information.

Publishing information

  • Date of publication:
    02 June 2009
  • Hardcopy date of publication:
    02 June 2009
  • ISBN:
    978‐0‐478‐31981‐1 (print), 978‐0‐478‐31982‐8 (online)
  • HP number:
  • Ordering information:
    Only soft copy available to download
Back to top