02 October 2008
This report aims to review:
- the current level of cardiac surgery provision in New Zealand compared to other countries
- variation in provision of cardiac surgery by region within New Zealand
- where in New Zealand the cardiac surgery is provided
- the level of cardiac surgery provision that should be provided in New Zealand
- the quality of service to patients, especially in relation to safety, adequacy, fairness, clarity and timeliness.
- critical success factors and barriers to access and provision of services
- options for overcoming barriers and improving service delivery
- further information that needs to be collected to more effectively monitor and manage the provision of cardiac surgery services.