02 January 2007
These recommendations are made by the authors of ‘After the Smoke has Cleared: Evaluation of the Impact of a New Smokefree Law ’ which was commissioned by the Ministry of Health and evaluated the impact of the Smokefree Environments Amendment Act 2003.
The outstanding issues and recommendations are provided under the following headings:
- The extent of non-compliance with the SEAA (2003)
- Smoking in outdoor areas in the hospitality sector
- Second hand smoke exposure in exempted workplaces (prisons, residential homes, and residential care institutions)
- Second hand smoke exposure in other settings
- Impact of the Smoke-free Environment Act Amendment on schools and early learning establishments
- Investigation of health impacts
- Additional tobacco control efforts
The Ministry of Health’s response to these recommendations is also available as a separate document - 'Ministry of Health response to After the Smoke has Cleared: Evaluation of the Impact of a New Smokefree Law Outstanding issues and recommendations for policy and research’.