Regulation of vaping and smokeless tobacco products
11 September requirements
Retailers and Transitional/Specialist Vape Retailers are reminded that from 11 September 2021, they must display R18 notices at all points of sale. They can also display approved harm reduction notices and approved product availability notices.
Manufacturers, importers and distributors must provide only restricted information on price lists.
Download templates on the industry page or here:
- download the R18 notice template (Word, 15 KB)
- download harm reduction notice templates in English (Word, 19 KB)
- download translations of the harm reduction notice (PDF, 450 KB)
- download the product availability notice template (Word, 15 KB)
Vaping Regulations are out
10 August 2021 – The Smokefree Environments and Regulated Products Act 1990 (SERPA) regulations are now published in the Gazette and will come into force from 11 August 2021.
More information is also available in the Smokefree Environments and Regulated Products Act (including Regulations) Key Timeline.
The key vaping areas to get familiar with in the regulations are in Part 4 – Part 7 but make sure you read everything relevant to your circumstances:
- Packaging (manufacturers/importers)
- Health warnings on vaping products (manufacturers/importers)
- Harm reduction notices (retailers/Specialist Vape Retailers)
- Safety messages on vaping products (manufacturers/importers)
- Availability of vaping products notices (retailers/Specialist Vape Retailers)
- R18 notices at each point of sale (retailers/Specialist Vape Retailers)
- Manufacturer price lists (manufacturers)
- Requirements around vaping product safety (manufacturers/importers/retailers/Specialist Vape Retailers)
- Submitting product notifications (manufacturers/importers)
- Only selling notified vaping products (retailers/Specialist Vape Retailers)
- Annual reporting and returns (manufacturers/importers/Specialist Vape Retailers)
- Fees (manufacturers/importers/retailers who wish to be Specialist Vape Retailers)
- Internal Areas (hospitality industry/enforcement officers).
Flavour restrictions for general retailers are in effect from 11 August 2021. Make sure you understand what you can and can’t sell.
The Smokefree Environments and Regulated Products (Vaping) Amendment Act 2020 (the Amendment Act) commenced on 11 November 2020. The Amendment Act amended the Smoke-free Environments Act 1990 and renamed it the Smokefree Environments and Regulated Products Act 1990 (the Act). View a timeline of key dates
The Act strikes a balance between ensuring vaping products are available for smokers who want to switch to a less harmful alternative and ensuring these products aren’t marketed or sold to young people. Read more.
Find out what the 2021 regulations mean for the industry.
Eligible retailers electing to be a Transitional Specialist Vape Retailer should complete this form and declaration. Read more.
Vaping is prohibited in indoor workplaces, on some transport services, and in certain venues. Read more.
Vaping is prohibited within and around school grounds and early childhood centres. There is also a requirement to display no vaping notices. Read more.
The Act makes certain public health exemptions from the prohibitions on advertising, and the provision of vaping products to support smoking cessation. Read more.