Vaping is significantly less harmful than smoking, and there are certain public health exemptions from the prohibitions on advertising and the provision of vaping products to support smoking cessation.
Tobacco control information for practitioners
In this section
- This page provides answers to common questions and issues about vaping products (also known as e-cigarettes or vapes). Read more
- Primary health care professionals play an important role in prompting quit attempts. This page includes guidance to help patients quit smoking. Read more
- Definitions of ‘currently smoking’, ‘ex-smoking’ and ‘never smoked’, and how to code these terms in patient records Read more
- The national result for the Better help for smokers to quit and More heart and diabetes checks health targets are now approaching the target threshold among DHBs. Although PHOs/DHBs have made great progress, we recognise that reaching the last few percentage points of the target can be difficult. Alternative approaches such as outreach activities and sector intelligence/IT tools can improve patient reach. Read more
- Vaping is not smoking and recording vaping status is not a requirement of the Better Help for Smokers to Quit health target. Read more