Monthly update on current referrals and the waiting list.
On this page:
- July 2022 update
- Previous updates from the last year
As at 31 July 2022, there were 362 referrals for a first specialist assessment on the Active list for the Service. 59 out of the 362 referrals have had their first specialist assessment. Following delays due to COVID-19, five surgeries were performed in 2020, ten surgeries performed in 2021 with three surgeries completed in 2022. One surgery is scheduled for August 2022.
Wrap around health and wellbeing support for the Service
Te Whatu Ora - Health New Zealand is working closely with the service provider to improve service delivery, with increased provision of wrap around services. The wrap around services will include the establishment of several new roles to provide more intensive health and wellbeing support for patients on the waiting list for an FSA and/or preparing for surgery. Interviews for the gender surgery health navigator role that was advertised in July 2022 have now been completed and a successful candidate is to be confirmed.
The chart below sets out the number of new referrals received by quarter between January 2013 and 30 June 2022. Overall, 76 percent of the referrals are for feminising surgery and 24 percent are for masculinising surgery. The number of people referred to the waitlist increased by over 160 percent between October 2018 and 30 September 2020.
We are currently giving priority for a first specialist assessment (FSA) to referrals of the longest wait patients.
- June 2022 update (PDF, 76 KB)
- May 2022 update (PDF, 115 KB)
- April 2022 update (PDF, 57 KB)
- March 2022 update (PDF, 143 KB)
- February 2022 update (PDF, 142 KB)
- January 2022 update (PDF, 147 KB)
- December 2021 update (PDF, 173 KB)
- November 2021 update (PDF, 149 KB)
- October 2021 update (PDF, 162 KB)
- September 2021 update (PDF, 142 KB)
- August 2021 update (PDF, 151 KB)
- July 2021 update (PDF, 162 KB)