Guidelines for the 2020 Pacific Health Scholarships.
Applications for the Pacific Health Scholarships 2020 have now closed.
Updates on the outcome of scholarship applications will be provided in April 2020.
For all inquiries please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To be eligible to apply for a Pacific Health Scholarships (the Scholarships), you must:
- be a New Zealand resident or permanent resident at the time of the application
- be enrolled in a health or disability-related course/qualification
- be enrolled at an approved NZQA accredited tertiary provider in New Zealand
- provide evidence of Pacific Islands descent (passport, birth certificate, reference letter).
The following applicants are deemed ineligible:
- students who qualify for the fees free scheme for the 2020 academic year
- students who have been or will be awarded any other scholarship from another source for the 2020 academic year
- sixth year medical students because they receive a stipend
- PhD students because the frontline workforce takes priority
- first year health science students and bio-medical students (competitive courses)
- Ministry of Health employees
Applications from both full-time and part time workers will be considered (including DHB employees).
If you have any queries about eligibility, please email email@example.com.
The Scholarships will be made of:
- $10,000 for Medical and Dentistry students
- $5,000 for nursing, midwifery, allied health and all remaining qualifications (refer to list of eligible qualifications ).
- Bachelor of Addictions
- Bachelor of Applied Counselling
- Bachelor of Chiropractic
- Bachelor of Counselling
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Health Sciences – Midwifery
- Bachelor of Health Sciences – Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Health Studies
- Bachelor of Medical Science
- Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery
- Bachelor of Mental Health
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Nursing
- Bachelor of Nutrition
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy
- Bachelor of Optometry
- Bachelor of Oral Health
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Speech and Language Therapy
- Certificate in Alcohol and Drugs
- Certificate in Health Promotion
- Certificate in Health Sciences
- Certificate in Health Studies
- Diploma in Alcohol and Drugs
- Diploma in Childbirth Education
- Diploma in Health Science
- Graduate Certificate in Science and Nutrition
- Graduate Diploma in Addictions, Alcohol and Drug Studies
- Graduate Diploma in Palliative Care
- Master of Audiology
- Master of Health Practice
- Master of Health Sciences
- Master of Nursing
- Master of Physiotherapy
- Master of Public Health
- Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Psychology
- Other (you will be able to specify a medical and health or disability-related course on the online form)
- tuition fees will be paid directly to your tertiary provider, once you have been approved in a health or disability-related course and the Ministry of Health receives confirmation of tuition fees from the tertiary provider
- the Scholarships is a contribution toward tuition fees only. Accommodation costs, course related costs and study leave is not covered by the Scholarships
- to ensure timely payment of tuition fees please provide current contact information of your tertiary provider scholarship liaison and Finance department
- All applications must be submitted using the online application form.
- After an application has been submitted, applications will receive an acknowledgment email.
- Once applications close, an Assessment Panel will review all submitted applications (both new applicants and fast track students).
- Please allow 3-4 weeks for the applications to be processed and reviewed after the close dates.
- All applicants will be notified by email correspondence, the outcome of their application once the Assessment Panel have finalised their decisions.
- Tertiary providers will be notified of successful recipients and coordination of scholarship payments will be done between the Ministry and the tertiary provider (with assistance by the recipient if necessary).
- Please ensure to provide a current email address when applying. If changes to contact emails occur, please inform the Ministry by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to apply online
- Access the online form.
- Make sure that you save your application if you are going away from your computer as you may have to start the application again. We also advise that you make a copy of your answers to the questions and save them on a Microsoft document.
- Attach an official transcript for tertiary study. If this is not available, then attach a screenshot of your results.
- Upload a screen shot of your fees if your statement of fees is not available.
- Ensure your application is complete with all necessary attachments included.
- Late applications will be at the Assessment Panel’s discretion to consider.
Successful applicant’s obligations
Successful applicants will be expected to:
- advise the Ministry if they become unable or unwilling to complete the Approved Course
- notify the Ministry prior to making any changes to the Approved Course for 2020, including undertaking any papers that do not contribute towards the approved qualification, or substituting alternative papers for papers included in the Approved Course
- advise the Ministry of all other sources of funding received (with the exception of Studylink assistance)
- maintain or achieve a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 5 or higher (equivalent to an average B grade or higher) across papers completed in 2020 (or maintain a ‘pass’ mark if completing medical studies)
- provide the Ministry with a report on grades for semester 1 and 2.
Fast track students
Fast track applications will be assessed by the Assessment Panel. Successful recipients will qualify for a scholarship the following year, provided that:
- the recipient maintains a GPA of five (B average) and provides the Ministry their results
- reapply online before the closing date.
If you are having trouble with your application or have any other queries please contact the Pacific team on email email@example.com.