Guidelines for the 2019 Pacific Health Scholarships.
To be eligible to apply for a Pacific Health Scholarship (the Scholarships), the applicant must:
- be a New Zealand resident or permanent resident at the time of the application
- be enrolled in a health related course/qualification
- be enrolled at an approved NZQA accredited tertiary provider in New Zealand
- provide evidence of Pacific Islands descent (passport, birth certificate, reference letter).
The following applicants are deemed ineligible:
- sixth year medical students because they receive a stipend
- PhD students because the frontline workforce takes priority
- First year health science students (competitive course).
The Ministry of Health will consider applications from both full-time and part time workers (including DHB employees).
The Scholarships will be made of:
- $10,000 for Medical and Dentistry students
- $5,000 for all remaining qualifications (refer to list of eligible qualifications [Word, 14 KB]).
Course fees will be paid directly to your tertiary organisation once you have been approved in a course.
The Ministry does not provide funding for accommodation costs, course related costs, or study leave days.
Fast track students
If you received a scholarship in 2018, and have a GPA of five (B average), you will automatically qualify for a Scholarship in 2019. However, you will still need to complete the form online and upload your 2018 course grades. Please attach either an official or unofficial transcript.
How to apply online
- Access the online form using the link at the bottom of this page
- Make sure that you save your application if you are going away from your computer as you may have to start the application again. We also advise that you make a copy of your answers to the questions and save them on a Microsoft document
- Attach either an official or unofficial transcript for tertiary study. Only those who are entering their first year of tertiary study are required to upload their NCEA results (we do not require NCEA results from returning tertiary students)
- Upload a screen shot of your fees if your statement of fees is not available
- Ensure your application is complete as the Ministry will not be following up with any incomplete applications
- No late applications will be accepted by the Ministry
- You will not be able to complete an application using your smartphone.
Applications have closed
Applications for the 2019 scholarships closed 8 February 2019.