Making a complaint or raising concerns

This section contains information on how to make a complaint or raise concerns about potential violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation.

If you suspect a person is being abused, it is respectful to first raise the concerns with the person first and involve them in the decision-making process.

If your concerns relate to disability support services funded by the Ministry of Health, contact the manager of the service. The service will have a complaints process which they are required to make known.

Alternatively, you can contact one of the following organisations if:

  • you or the person feel unable to make a complaint to the organisation that provides the services
  • the complaint is not about a service provider
  • you want to take your complaint further.

Disability Support Services within the Ministry of Health: responsible for funding supports and services for people with disabilities. You have the right to make a complaint about the disability support services you, your whānau, people you are working with, or others are receiving.

The Health and Disability Commissioner: responsible for ensuring the rights of people receiving health and disability services are upheld. This includes making sure complaints about health or disability service providers are taken care of fairly and efficiently.

If you need support and information to raise your concerns or make a complaint, you can contact the Health and Disability Advocacy Service.

The Human Rights Commission: promotes and protects the human rights of all people in Aotearoa New Zealand. The Commission can help if you are not sure of your rights or want to make a complaint about discrimination.

The Commission’s website publishes a plain language resource about making complaints: Your human rights and making complaints: A guide for disabled people and their families.

The Police: responsible for protecting public safety and maintaining law and order. If you feel that your complaint involves a criminal act, you should contact the police.

Oranga Tamariki – Ministry for Children: contact Oranga Tamariki if you have concerns about the safety of any child or young person (including those with a disability) and need some advice.

The Office of the Ombudsman: an independent resource to help the community deal with government agencies, with a focus on fairness and impartiality. It will undertake investigations where necessary.

Back to top