A Whānau Ora HIA was conducted on the draft Wairarapa Alcohol Strategy (draft Strategy) during January to April 2010.
Initiated by Wairarapa Public Health and funded by the Ministry of Health’s Health Impact Assessment (HIA) Learning by Doing Fund, Quigley and Watts Ltd led the HIA, in partnership with Wairarapa Public Health.
This report documents the rationale behind completing a Whānau Ora HIA, the process by which this was completed and the conclusions reached by the Whānau Ora HIA.
A number of evidence-based recommendations were developed. The recommendations focus around:
- further developing the draft strategy
- developing an implementation plan that is adopted and released at the same time as the draft Strategy
- clearly identifying roles and responsibilities within the draft Strategy and the implementation plan
- developing a communication strategy as a component of the implementation plan
- developing a Monitoring and Evaluation framework for the draft Strategy.