The New Zealand Medical Assistance Team (NZMAT) Reference Group is accountable to the Director of Emergency Management at the Ministry of Health.
The objectives of the NZMAT Reference Group are to advise on:
- the purpose and function of NZMAT and the scope of its operations
- the recruitment and selection process and criteria for NZMAT volunteers
- the development and selection of NZMAT work-stream group members and their work outputs
- operational documentation associated with the NZMAT, including standard operating procedures
- other existing and potential issues that affect the formation or deployment of a NZMAT
- suitable options for managing any issues
The NZMAT Reference Group includes representatives from:
- Ministry of Health Emergency Management team
- Counties Manukau Health
- Pasifika Medical Association
- NZ Fire Service – Urban Search and Rescue
- NZ Defence Force.
Work-stream groups will be established as required to provide guidance on documentation, equipment and consumable supplies, as well as on selection of volunteers associated with particular clinical groups.
The NZMAT Reference Group will advise on membership of the work-stream groups, which the Ministry of Health will then decide on. Counties Manukau Health will be responsible for the establishment and operation of the groups.