New guidelines series
The Eating and Activity Guidelines Series is a new model for providing nutrition and physical activity information to the health and fitness sectors, and to the New Zealand public.
The Series is a collection of documents and information that includes:
- the Guidelines document Eating and Activity Guidelines for New Zealand Adults – the first edition introduces updated Guideline Statements for adults. Future editions will also include key Statements for pregnant and breastfeeding women, infants and toddlers, children and young people, and older people
- issues-based documents that provide in-depth information on eating and physical activity-related topics beyond what is covered in the Guidelines document
- health education resources for the general public – two new resources for the public will be released alongside the first edition of the Guidelines document
- links to evidence on which the updated Guidelines are based
- links to useful websites.
We started developing the Eating and Activity Guidelines Series after an independent evaluation of the Ministry of Health’s Food and Nutrition Guidelines Series.
The evaluation involved stakeholder interviews as well as an electronic survey of health practitioners. Results showed that many health practitioners valued the current guidelines, but felt that they could be improved with some changes to the format and the way they were developed.
The new Series aims to meet the needs of the sector, particularly providing:
- a more comprehensive and transparent evidence-base
- more timely information
- the combination of nutrition and physical activity information
- guidelines that are easier to access and use.
Transition between existing and new guidelines
Over time, the new Guidelines document and a range of issues-based documents will replace all existing Food and Nutrition Guidelines and Physical Activity Guidelines.
In the interim, this information will be used alongside the new Series as it is developed.
New updated information will be added to this website as it is produced, ensuring people have access to the most recent advice. Any advice on the existing Food and Nutrition Guidelines and Physical Activity Guidelines pages will be removed once it has been reviewed, updated and published as part of the Eating and Activity Guideline Series.
To find the correct source of specific information, check the Document database.