Partnering with industry to help reduce the incidence of childhood obesity
In October 2015 the government launched the Childhood Obesity Plan to prevent and manage obesity in children and young people.
The plan provides targeted interventions for those who are obese, increased support for those at risk of becoming obese and broad approaches to make healthier choices easier for all New Zealanders.
A key initiative of the plan has been to partner with the food and beverage industry to make commitments with that will make a contribution to reducing the incidence of childhood obesity.
This partnership has resulted in the development of an overarching pledge that reflects the work that many companies are already undertaking, and sets out a direction for future activities.
The ongoing development of more detailed industry specific pledges will also give support to the overarching pledge.
Healthy kids industry pledge
We understand the serious impact of obesity on the health and well-being of the children of New Zealand. We will identify and contribute solutions that will aim to help reduce rates of obesity for all children.
This means we are committing, where appropriate, to:
- consider options for innovation and the reformulation of products to ensure children and their families have easy access to healthier food options
- continue to enhance labelling to help families make healthy choices for their children, including supporting the government’s health star ratings
- continue to provide fact-based information to help families make healthy choices for their children
- support responsible marketing, advertising, and sponsorship of foods to children that supports healthy nutrition
- support the government's efforts to address differences in health outcomes for different population groups, particularly Māori and Pacific peoples
- identify and communicate specific activities that we will undertake within our business, and publicly report on our progress.
Companies committed so far
These companies and industry groups have committed to the Healthy kids industry pledge. You can find out more about the specific pledges on their websites:
- Coca-Cola: Coca-Cola joins industry healthy kids pledge
- McDonalds NZ
- Nestle: Supporting a healthy future
- Fonterra: Healthy kids industry pledge
- Retail NZ: Reducing childhood obesity pledge
- Association of New Zealand Advertisers
- New Zealand Food and Grocery Council
- New Zealand Beverage Council: What we're doing about advertising to children
- Frucor Suntory: Frucor Suntory commits to Healthy Kids pledge
- Sanitarium: Healthy kids industry pledge
All companies and industry group signed up to the pledge will report back to the Ministry of Health on their commitments and progress annually.
Join the pledge
If your company or industry group is interested in signing up to the Healthy kids industry pledge (and/or highlight your individual pledge) please contact the Ministry of Health for more information: email RCOnews@moh.govt.nz