This section provides the latest updates, information and advice on COVID-19.
There are no new cases of COVID-19 today, 21 September 2020. There are now 62 active cases of COVID-19 in New Zealand. See our Current cases page.
From 11:59pm, Monday 21 September, all of New Zealand (except Auckland) will be at Alert Level 1. From 11:59pm on Wednesday 23 September, Auckland will be at Alert Level 2. Find out more on the Unite Against COVID-19 website. The Government will review the Alert Level for Auckland on Monday 5 October.
In Auckland at Alert Level 2, wearing masks remains mandatory on domestic flights to, from or through Auckland, and on public transport such as trains, buses and ferries. Gatherings may include up to 100 people.
For the rest of New Zealand at Alert Level 1, wearing masks on domestic flights to, from or through Auckland is mandatory. It is not mandatory to wear a mask on public transport, but it is recommended.
All of New Zealand should continue to do the following:
- sign into places, using the NZ COVID Tracer app or keep a record
- maintain good hygiene practices
- stay home if you’re unwell and get a test.
Our advice is under active review and is updated regularly. The latest updates include the following changes to the website:
- Added: Guidance for primary and secondary care on essential groups for testing for the period 21 September–4 October 2020
- Added: Primary care quick reference guide for the period 21 September–4 October 2020
- Updated: Use of masks and face coverings in the community
- Added: Testing strategy – 21 September 2020 to 4 October 2020
- Added: COVID-19 Public Health Response (Required Testing) Amendment Order (No 2)
- Updated: Join the COVID-19 surge workforce