This section provides the latest updates, information and advice on COVID-19.
New Zealand has 1,283 confirmed and probable cases of COVID-19. For a summary of the current status see our latest media release (10 April) More information is available on our current cases page. With continued vigilance the chance of widespread community outbreak is expected to remain low.
New Zealand is currently at Alert Level 4 – Eliminate. This means that it is likely that the disease is not contained. See more information about Alert levels.
Find out how to look after your mental health and wellbeing during Alert Level 4.
- Contact tracing phone calls: If you have been identified as a close contact, you can expect calls from Ministry of Health and Healthline. It is important to answer your phone. Find out how to recognise a call from the Ministry or Healthline at Contact tracing.
- Join the COVID-19 surge workforce: We are seeking expressions of interest from health and care professionals who are able and willing to work for a limited amount of time as part of the national strategic approach to managing COVID-19. Find out more.
- Personal protective equiptment (PPE): What's important for you to know about PPE for essential workers.
Our advice is under active review and is updated regularly. The latest updates include the following changes to the website:
- Added testing by region data
- Updated border controls to reflect latest border measures
- Information for people living in and managing apartment buildings
- Information for disabled people on getting food during Alert Level 4
- Updated COVID-19 case definition
- Updated advice for health professionals
- PPE used by community pharmacy for prevention of COVID-19
- Updated mental health and wellbeing resources
- Guidelines for the use of personal protective equipment for frontline health care workers
- Information on contact tracing phone calls
- Updated questions and answers with information on accessing health care outside your local area
- Updated transmission of COVID-19 and the role of face masks in health settings
- Updated questions and answers for primary health care workers
- Updated primary care quick reference guide
- Information on cremations and exemptions from viewing a body
- Updated information for disabled people and their family and whānau
- Questions and answers for resident family carer payments
- Updated case definition
- Information for radiologists on community-based maternity ultrasounds
- Alert level 4 for disabled people and Guidance for people on Individualised Funding factsheets
- COVID-19 impact on Funded Family Care payments
- New rules for electronic prescriptions to support virtual care in the community