The New Zealand COVID-19 Surveillance plan sets out the overall approach to surveillance of COVID-19 in New Zealand. The Testing strategy supports the Surveillance plan and is updated regularly to respond to the current situation and keep the disease out of our communities by stamping it out before it has a chance to spread widely.
Last updated: 15 December 2020
On this page:
The New Zealand COVID-19 Surveillance Plan sets out the overall approach to surveillance of COVID-19 in New Zealand, as one of the core pillars of the overall strategy of disease elimination. National COVID-19 surveillance systems operate to provide information about the characteristics of the disease in New Zealand and the effectiveness of the response.
This plan sets out the current aims and objectives, key surveillance activities and areas of ongoing development. As we learn more about the nature of COVID-19 and understand more about our response capabilities, then aspects of the surveillance system will adapt in order to address emerging questions and priorities. The framework of key surveillance questions and the specific information products to address them are summarised below.
Implementation of the surveillance and testing approach is reviewed weekly.
- New Zealand’s COVID-19 Surveillance Plan (Word, 289 KB)
- New Zealand’s COVID-19 Surveillance Plan (PDF, 502 KB)
- Updated 19 May 2020
Testing strategy – for period ending 27 January 2021
- COVID-19 testing strategy – 7 December 2020 to 27 January 2021 (Word, 284 KB)
- COVID-19 testing strategy – 7 December 2020 to 27 January 2021 (PDF, 142 KB)
- Updated: 15 December 2020
Mid-Term National Testing Strategy
New Zealand's national testing strategy (for June to August 2020) implements a five-part national system to detect and eliminate new cases of COVID-19 in New Zealand.
Plain english version
- New Zealand's national testing strategy for COVID-19 for June to August 2020 (Word, 273 KB)
- New Zealand's national testing strategy for COVID-19 for June to August 2020 (PDF, 453 KB)
- Updated: 29 June 2020
- Mid-Term National Testing Strategy: COVID-19 Testing (Word, 378 KB)
- Mid-Term National Testing Strategy: COVID-19 Testing (PDF, 566 KB)
- Updated: June 2020
We work together with the broader health sector to implement our testing strategy.
The following documents give an outline of the implementation programme:
- Testing implementation plan: an overview of the testing approach for each of our workstreams and groups: Community, Case investigating contact tracing, Health intelligence, Border testing.
- Testing overview: diagram outlining the step-by-step process of testing, for each group.