Last updated: 19 April 2021
You can download NZ COVID Tracer from anywhere in the world, but it may be difficult to find on the Google Play Store if you are based in another country. Download NZ COVID Tracer for Android
Some Samsung users have reported issues with their rear camera not focusing, which is impacting their ability to scan easily. Please don’t delete the app as this will delete your digital diary. Please consider adding a manual entry instead.
On this page:
- Latest version
- System requirements
- Updating the app
- Transferring a digital diary to another device
- Data usage
- Problem scanning
- If you can’t use the app
- Download the app from outside New Zealand
- Questions and feedback
The latest version of NZ COVID Tracer (version 4.1.0) was released on 8 April. This release includes a number of new features which make the app faster, easier to use and more useful.
- Some iPhone users may have an issue turning on Bluetooth tracing in the app. If this happens, please open your phone’s 'Settings' and find the 'Exposure Notifications' item. Turn on 'Exposure Notifications' and select New Zealand as your region.
In the current release of NZ COVID Tracer, Android devices need to have Android 6.0 or later, while Apple devices need iOS 10 or later.
If you have an older operating system, you may be able to update it to a more recent version. For information on how to update your phone’s operating system, please refer to the guidance for Android users or Apple users as applicable.
If your phone is set to automatic updates, NZ COVID tracer will update automatically within a few days of an update being released.
You can also manually update NZ COVID Tracer:
- For iPhone users, open the App Store and tap ‘Today’ at the bottom of the screen. Then tap your profile icon to bring up your Account. Scroll down until you see NZ COVID Tracer and then tap ‘Update’.
- For Android users, open the Play Store and tap on the three horizonal lines at the top-left of the screen to open the sidebar. Open ‘My apps & games’ and select the ‘Updates’ tab. Then scroll down until you see NZ COVID Tracer and tap ‘Update’.
You can transfer your digital diary from one iPhone to another. Make sure you follow the steps below before you reset or factory restore your old phone.
Unfortunately, this is not currently possible on Android devices as data migration apps do not guarantee the transfer of your digital diary.
- We cannot guarantee this process will work for all phones, so we highly recommend you take screenshots of your digital diary before you start the back-up process. This will ensure you have a record of your scans if the process is unsuccessful.
- Make sure the NZ COVID Tracer app is selected as one of the apps you want to restore on your new phone. Re-installing the app from the App Store will instead delete your data.
- You cannot transfer your digital diary if you have lost your phone and did not have it backed up.
Back up for iPhone users:
The app uses a small amount of data when you register your contact information, when your phone checks for contact alerts, when you enable Bluetooth tracing, and when anonymised analytic information is sent to the Ministry for reporting purposes.
However, your phone doesn’t need to be connected to data to scan QR codes, use Bluetooth tracing, or when you add manual entries to your digital diary.
If you are concerned about data usage, you may want to wait until you are connected to Wi-Fi before you download or update the app. Once you’ve downloaded the app, the ongoing data usage is minimal.
If you have any problems scanning QR codes, please email [email protected]
Please include the following information:
- your phone’s make and model
- the operating system you’re running
- a description of the issue you are experiencing.
It’s important to keep track of where you’ve been and who you’ve been with in any way that works for you. This makes contact tracing faster in the event that you contract COVID-19.
If you can’t use the app, you could try other ways to keep track of where you’ve been:
- Try using the Rippl app
- download or order the NZ COVID Tracer booklet
- keep a calendar or diary
- take photos.
If you are travelling to New Zealand, we encourage you to use the NZ COVID Tracer app while you are here. It’s an easy, private way to keep track of where you have been and who you have been near. The history of your visits stays on your phone and is not centrally stored or shared.
You can download the app from the Apple app store or Google Play if you have the current system requirements:
- iOS10 and above
- Android 6 and above
You will also be able to enable Bluetooth tracing in the app if you have iOS 12.5 and newer and Android 6 or above.
If you are unable to find it by searching NZ COVID Tracer in the Apple app store or Google Play, please try the links below:
If you are unable to download NZ COVID Tracer app, we encourage you to use the NZ COVID tracer booklet, or keep track of where you have been and who you have seen in a way that works best for you.
If you can’t find the information you need on this page, or the other pages in this section, you can contact the NZ COVID Tracer app team.