Health officials may grant quarantine clearance (pratique) provided the following are true.
- The Advance Notice of Arrival form is received within the prescribed time.
- A ‘no change of health status’ message is received within 12–24 hours of arrival.
- The Medical Officer of Health or a Health Protection Officer is satisfied there is no quarantinable disease or other public health threat on board the ship.
A ship with an illness on board that is not a quarantinable disease, or does not constitute a grave danger to public health, will usually still be granted pratique. The Medical Officer of Health will liaise with the incoming vessel prior to arrival to determine whether any measures are required to manage potential public health risks.
Advice that pratique has been granted will be provided to the:
- Ship’s Master
- Harbourmaster and/or pilot
- New Zealand Customs Service
- Ministry for Primary Industries Quarantine Services
- Ship’s agent.