Nominations close 5pm, Monday 13 December 2021
The Smokefree Environments and Regulated Products (Vaping) Amendment Act 2020 commenced on 11 November 2020, amending the Smoke-free Environments Act 1990 and renaming it the Smokefree Environments and Regulated Products Act 1990 (the Act).
The Act strikes a balance between ensuring vaping products are available for smokers who want to switch to a less harmful alternative and ensuring these products aren’t marketed or sold to young people.
New provisions of the Act are being phased in over a 15-month period. This means some provisions came into force straight away and others take effect further down the track.
The product notification scheme established by Part 4 of the Act came into force on 11 August 2021, requiring manufacturers and importers of vaping and smokeless tobacco products to notify the Ministry before those products can be sold in New Zealand. Under certain circumstances, the Act allows the Director-General of Health to cancel or suspend a product notification.
Section 79 of the Act establishes an appeals committee with three members to hear appeals against decisions of the Director-General to cancel or suspend a product notification.
The Ministry of Health is seeking nominations for the remaining member of the Regulated Products Appeals Committee (the Committee).
We are looking for nominees who can demonstrate one or more of:
- an understanding of the health and safety risks from vaping and smokeless tobacco products, and their potential impact on people’s wellbeing
- an understanding of the manufacture, importation and/or retail sale of vaping and smokeless tobacco products
- the ability to impartially review submissions and provide an objective, independent decision.
Nominations must be received by Monday 13 December 2021.
If you are interested, please download the declaration form and include the nominee’s name, occupation, contact details, and curriculum vitae, as well as the names of two referees. Submit nominations by email to [email protected].
- Download the Regulated Products Appeals Committee Declaration Form (Word, 64 KB)
- Download the Regulated Products Appeals Committee Terms of Reference (Word, 451 KB)
Please forward this Call for Nominations to anyone you think may have an interest.