The Ministry of Health provided an update on the COVID-19 response at 1.00 pm today.
- Minister of Health, Chris Hipkins
- Director-General of Health, Dr Ashley Bloomfield
There are two new cases of COVID-19 to report in managed isolation facilities in New Zealand today.
The speakers answered questions from the media about the following topics.
- NZ COVID Tracer app functionality and usage.
- Steps being taken to encourage greater uptake of COVID Tracer posters and app.
- Confidence in contact tracing capability and ability to contact trace if there were to be new COVID-19 cases in the community.
- Testing capacity.
- Individual responsibility to use the COVID Tracer app and how people should normalise its use.
- Improvement of national contact tracing capability.
- Upcoming trials or tests of contact tracing to test under various scenarios.
- Updated testing guidance for clinicians and reasons for this change.
- Expectations around testing numbers and ongoing reviews to ensure enough testing is done.
- Whether testing numbers are expected to grow following update of guidance.
- Possibility of testing people before they board planes back to New Zealand and why this isn’t a focus.
- Form of briefing to the incoming Minister and confirming briefing papers will be released.
- The continued importance of clinical judgement in determining who to test.
- The focus of testing.
- What the funding of GPs for testing covers.