Today we are reporting 1,483 community cases, 243 current hospitalisations.
The seven-day rolling average of community case numbers today is 1,549. Last Friday, it was 1,948.
The seven-day rolling average of hospitalisations today is 255. Last Friday, it was 307.
There are now a total of 1,944 deaths confirmed as attributable to COVID-19, either as the underlying cause of death or as a contributing factor. The seven-day rolling average increase in total deaths attributable to COVID-19 is now 5.
- COVID-19 Cases in hospital: total number 243: Northland: 2; Waitematā: 48; Counties Manukau: 35; Auckland: 38; Waikato: 24; Bay of Plenty: 3; Lakes: 2; Hawke’s Bay: 1; MidCentral: 7; Whanganui: 1; Taranaki: 1; Tairawhiti: 0; Wairarapa: 3; Capital & Coast: 16; Hutt Valley: 10; Nelson Marlborough: 4; Canterbury: 42; West Coast: 0; South Canterbury: 3; Southern: 3.
- Weekly COVID-19 Hospitalisations - 7 day rolling average: 255 (This time last week 307)
- Average age of current COVID-19 hospitalisations: 62
- Cases in ICU or HDU: 5
- Vaccination status of new admissions to hospital*: Unvaccinated or not eligible (34 cases); partially immunised <7 days from second dose or have only received one dose (4 cases); double vaccinated at least 7 days before being reported as a case (52 cases); received booster at least 7 days before being reported as a case (198 cases).
* These are new hospital admissions in the past 7 days prior to yesterday who had COVID at the time of admission or while in hospital, excluding hospitalisations that were admitted and discharged within 24hrs. This data is from Districts with tertiary hospitals: Auckland, Canterbury/West Coast, Southern, Counties Manukau, Waikato, Capital & Coast/Hutt, Waitemata and Northland.
- Number of PCR tests total (last 24 hours): 2,478
- Number of Rapid Antigen Tests reported total (last 24 hours): 5,884
- PCR tests rolling average (last 7 days): 2,667
- Number of Rapid Antigen Tests dispatched (seven days to 8 September 2022): 600,000
- Total number of new community cases: 1,483
- Number of new cases that have recently travelled overseas: 65
- Seven day rolling average of community cases: 1,549
- Seven day rolling average of community cases (as at same day last week): 1,948
- Number of active cases (total): 10,842 (cases identified in the past seven days and not yet classified as recovered)
- Confirmed cases (total): 1,739,718
- New cases by District and other more detailed case information
Please note, the Ministry of Health’s daily reported cases may differ slightly from those reported at a District or local public health unit level. This is because of different reporting cut off times and the assignment of cases between regions, for example when a case is tested outside their usual region of residence. Total numbers will always be the formal daily case tally as reported to the WHO.
There are now a total of 1,944 deaths confirmed as attributable to COVID-19, either as the underlying cause of death or as a contributing factor. This is the number that will be reported to the World Health Organization as it provides the most accurate assessment of COVID-19 related mortality in New Zealand.
In the past seven days, there have been an average of 5 deaths confirmed each day as being attributable to COVID-19. This is a very sad time for whānau and friends of those who have died, and our thoughts and condolences are with them.
Information on the number of new deaths of people with COVID-19 reported to the Ministry of Health in the last 24 hours, and the seven-day rolling average, is available on the Ministry of Health website. This includes information on the age band and location of these newly reported deaths.
These newly reported deaths have not yet been categorised as to whether they are attributable to COVID-19, either as the underlying cause of death or as a contributing factor or are unrelated to COVID-19. As this categorisation is made over coming days, the attributable deaths will be added to the total reported above.