Today we are reporting 10,205 community cases, 734 hospitalisations and 9 deaths.
The seven-day rolling average of case numbers continues to decline, today's seven-day rolling average is 13,218, while the seven-day rolling average of cases as at last Monday was 16,102.
A reminder that from 11:59pm tonight, there is no requirement to use My Vaccine Pass.
Businesses will still be able to use the system if they would like to.
As restrictions around the pass ease, it is important for people to continue to follow public health advice to stay at home, away from school or work if you’re feeling unwell. Another way to protect you and your whanau is to get vaccinated if you haven’t already done so.
Vaccination remains our best defence against COVID-19 and getting boosted is an important way people can protect themselves, their whanau and their friends from the virus.
Please if you are due for a vaccination, whether it be a second shot or booster, make an appointment today.
Today we are sadly reporting the deaths of 9 people with COVID-19. The deaths being reported today include people who have died over the past 3 days. Delays to reporting can be associated with people dying with COVID-19, rather than from COVID-19, and COVID being discovered only after they have died.
These deaths take the total number of publicly reported deaths with COVID-19 to 405 and the 7-day rolling average of reported deaths is 20.
Of the people whose deaths we are reporting today, one person was from the Auckland region, three from Waikato, two from Lakes, two from the Wellington region, and one from Southern.
One person was in their 50s, one in their 60s, one in their 70s, two in their 80s, and four were over-90.
Five were men and four were women.
Out of respect, we will be making no further comment.
Vaccinations administered in New Zealand
- Vaccines administered to date: 4,025,670 first doses; 3,974,925 second doses; 34,383 third primary doses; 2,589,237 booster doses: 259,478 paediatric first doses and 90,890 paediatric second doses
- Vaccines administered yesterday: 22 first doses; 65 second doses; 1 third primary doses; 866 booster doses; 95 paediatric first doses and 1,477 paediatric second doses
- All Ethnicities (percentage of eligible people aged 12+): 4,055,352 first dose (96.3%); 4,002,833 second dose (95.1%), 2,587,110 boosted (72.7% of those eligible)
- Māori (percentage of eligible people aged 12+): 520,417 first dose (91.1%); 502,966 second dose (88.1%), 229,803 boosted (57.5% of those eligible)
- Pacific Peoples (percentage of eligible people aged 12+): 281,568 first dose (98.2%); 276,432 second dose (96.4%), 136,939 boosted (59.3% of those eligible)
- 5 to 11-year-olds all ethnicities: 257,402 first dose (54%); 88,882 second dose (18.7%)
- 5 to 11-year-olds - Māori: 40,450 first dose (35%); 9,957 second dose (8.6%)
- 5 to 11-year-olds - Pacific Peoples: 23,307 first dose (47.2%); 4,768 second dose (9.7%)
Note that the number for “People vaccinated” differs slightly from “Vaccines administered” as it includes those that have been vaccinated overseas.
Vaccination rates for all DHBs*
- Northland DHB: first dose (90.1%); second dose (87.9%); boosted (69.4%)
- Auckland Metro DHB: first dose (97.2%); second dose (96.1%); boosted (71.3%)
- Waikato DHB: first dose (95.1%); second dose (93.5%); boosted (68.3%)
- Bay of Plenty DHB: first dose (95%); second dose (93.3%); boosted (67.8%)
- Lakes DHB: first dose (93.2%); second dose (91.3%); boosted (68.4%)
- MidCentral DHB: first dose (96.5%); second dose (95.2%); boosted (74.1%)
- Tairāwhiti DHB: first dose (93.2%); second dose (90.9%); boosted (68.3%)
- Whanganui DHB: first dose (91.9%); second dose (90.4%); boosted (73.4%)
- Hawke’s Bay DHB: first dose (97.1%); second dose (95.4%); boosted (71.9%)
- Taranaki DHB: first dose (94.6%); second dose (93.2%); boosted (70%)
- Wairarapa DHB: first dose (96.4%); second dose (94.9%); boosted (74.7%)
- Capital & Coast DHB: first dose (98.5%); second dose (97.8%); boosted (81.1%)
- Hutt Valley DHB: first dose (96.6%); second dose (95.6%); boosted (76.9%)
- Nelson Marlborough DHB: first dose (96.4%); second dose (95.1%); boosted (75.4%)
- West Coast DHB: first dose (92.6%); second dose (91.2%); boosted (73.3%)
- Canterbury DHB: first dose (99.7%); second dose (98.7%); boosted (75.9%)
- South Canterbury DHB: first dose (94.9%); second dose (93.8%); boosted (76.3%)
- Southern DHB: first dose (98.3%); second dose (97.2%); boosted (74.8%)
*Partially and second doses percentages are for those 12+. Boosted percentages are for 18+ who have become eligible 3 months after having their second dose
Percentages are based on 2020 HSU data - a health-specific population denominator. As the population continues to change over time, coverage rates can exceed 100%.
- Cases in hospital: total number 734: Northland: 28; Waitemata: 111; Counties Manukau: 131; Auckland: 108; Waikato: 75; Bay of Plenty: 37; Lakes: 14; Tairāwhiti: 3, Hawke’s Bay: 33; Taranaki: 21; Whanganui: 5; MidCentral: 20; Wairarapa: 2; Hutt Valley: 21; Capital and Coast: 16; Nelson Marlborough: 13; Canterbury: 49; South Canterbury: 9; West Coast: 5; Southern: 33
- Average age of current hospitalisations: 59
- Cases in ICU or HDU: 25
- Vaccination status of current hospitalisations (Northern Region only, excluding Emergency Departments): Unvaccinated or not eligible (50 cases / 14%); partially immunised <7 days from second dose or have only received one dose (9 cases / 2%); double vaccinated at least 7 days before being reported as a case (76 cases / 21%); Received booster at least 7 days before being reported as a case (98 cases / 27%); unknown (136 cases / 37%)
- Seven day rolling average of community cases: 13,218
- Seven day rolling average (as at Monday last week): 16,102
- Number of new community cases: 10,205
- Number of new community cases (PCR): 121
- Number of new community cases (RAT): 10,084
- Location of new community cases (PCR & RAT): Northland (407), Auckland (1,835), Waikato (878), Bay of Plenty (571), Lakes (267), Hawke’s Bay (454), MidCentral (531), Whanganui (249), Taranaki (357), Tairāwhiti (125), Wairarapa (92), Capital and Coast (745), Hutt Valley (390), Nelson Marlborough (398), Canterbury (1,664), South Canterbury (207), Southern (958), West Coast (76); Unknown (1)
- Number of new cases identified at the border: 33
- Number of active community cases (total): 92,505 (cases identified in the past 7 days and not yet classified as recovered)
- Confirmed cases (total): 701,986
Please note, the Ministry of Health’s daily reported cases may differ slightly from those reported at a DHB or local public health unit level. This is because of different reporting cut off times and the assignment of cases between regions, for example when a case is tested outside their usual region of residence. Total numbers will always be the formal daily case tally as reported to the WHO.
- Number of PCR tests total (last 24 hours): 1,634
- Number of Rapid Antigen Tests reported total (last 24 hours): 18,818
- PCR tests rolling average (last 7 days): 2,840
- Number of Rapid Antigen Tests dispatched (last 7 days as of 4 April 2022): 4.3 million