Last updated: 28 June 2022
On this page:
- Latest version
- System requirements
- Updating the app
- Transferring a digital diary to another device
- My Vaccine Pass
- Data usage
- Problem scanning
- Download the app from outside New Zealand
- Questions and feedback
The latest version of NZ COVID Tracer (version 7.0.0) was released on 27 June 2022. This release removes the optional registration step from signup.
In the current release of NZ COVID Tracer, Android devices need to have Android 6.0 or later, while Apple devices need iOS 12 or later.
If you have an older operating system, you may be able to update it to a more recent version. For information on how to update your phone’s operating system, please refer to the guidance for Android users or Apple users as applicable.
If your phone is set to automatic updates, NZ COVID Tracer will update automatically within a few days of an update being released.
You can also manually update NZ COVID Tracer:
- For iPhone users, open the App Store and tap ‘Today’ at the bottom of the screen. Then tap your profile icon to bring up your Account. Scroll down until you see NZ COVID Tracer and then tap ‘Update’.
- For Android users, open the Play Store and tap on the three horizontal lines at the top-left of the screen to open the sidebar. Open ‘My apps & games’ and select the ‘Updates’ tab. Then scroll down until you see NZ COVID Tracer and tap ‘Update’.
If you get a new smartphone you can transfer your diary or save a backup. Make sure you have the latest version of the NZ COVID Tracer app installed on both your new and old phone. You will need an internet or data connection on both phones. To export your diary open the NZ COVID Tracer app on your current phone and:
- Go to My data.
- Open My diary.
- Select Options (in the top right corner of the screen).
- Select Export this diary (this will create a file with today’s date and end with *.diary).
- Save the *.diary file to a secure storage location (for example, iCloud, OneDrive, Files, Dropbox or Google Drive).
- Open the NZ COVID Tracer app on your new phone (check you can access your storage location).
- From the Diary menu select Import another diary.
- Go to the storage location of your diary file and select the *.diary file to be imported.
- When the import has finished you will see a green success screen.
If you have a My Vaccine Pass, once you have added a diary entry or scanned in you’ll see a link to go through to it. You do not need to tap Okay to record your diary entry. Just tap “View My Vaccine Pass”.
The app uses a small amount of data, when your phone checks for contact alerts, when you enable Bluetooth tracing, and when anonymised analytic information is sent to the Ministry for reporting purposes.
However, your phone doesn’t need to be connected to data to scan QR codes, use Bluetooth tracing, or when you add manual entries to your digital diary.
If you are concerned about data usage, you may want to wait until you are connected to Wi-Fi before you download or update the app. Once you’ve downloaded the app, the ongoing data usage is minimal.
If you have any problems scanning QR codes, please email [email protected]
Please include the following information:
- your phone’s make and model
- the operating system you’re running
- a description of the issue you are experiencing.
If you are travelling to New Zealand, we encourage you to use the NZ COVID Tracer app while you are here. It’s an easy, private way to keep track of where you have been and who you have been near. The history of your visits stays on your phone and is not centrally stored or shared.
You can download the app from the Apple app store or Google Play if you have the current system requirements:
- iOS10 and above
- Android 6 and above
You will also be able to enable Bluetooth tracing in the app if you have iOS 12.5 and newer and Android 6 or above.
If you are unable to find it by searching NZ COVID Tracer in the Apple app store or Google Play, please try the links below:
If you can’t find the information you need on this page, or the other pages in this section, you can contact the NZ COVID Tracer app team.