- Services and support
- Health care services
- Care Plus
- Health Passport
- Hospitals and specialist services
- Māori health providers
- Maternity services
- Mental health services
- Palliative care
- Services for older people
- Sharing your health information
- Visiting a doctor
- Visiting a dentist
- Well Child/Tamariki Ora
- Disability services
- Where to go for help
- Certified providers
- Health care services
The 0800 Mum2Be (0800 686 223) maternity helpline can provide you with contact details for lead maternity carers in your area.
Your lead maternity carer supports you through pregnancy, labour and the first weeks of your child’s life. Most lead maternity carers are midwives, though doctors and obstetricians may also carry out the role.
Mum2Be doesn’t offer counselling, clinical or medical advice. If you’d like to talk to someone about your pregnancy, call Pregnancy Counselling Services on 0800 PREGNANT (0800 733 462).
When can I phone?
Mum2Be calls are answered Monday to Friday, from 8 am to 5 pm (or 9.30 am to 5 pm on Wednesday).
What happens after I phone?
When you call Mum2Be, we’ll take your name and address and send you out a list of lead maternity carers in your area.
If none of the midwives on our list are available, contact the maternity services department at your local hospital.
Frequently asked questions
I’m a visitor to New Zealand – am I eligible for free maternity care?
- Read the 2011 Guide to Eligibility to see if you’re covered.
Who do I talk to about antenatal classes?
- Ask your midwife or contact your local district health board.
We’re struggling financially – can we get help?
- Contact Work and Income NZ for information.
- Website: Work and Income
- Phone: 0800 559 009
Am I able to eat cheese? (I have a craving for it!)
- Go to the Nutrition during pregnancy page for useful resources on healthy eating during pregnancy.
- Ask your lead maternity carer.
- Contact PlunketLine for information on safe foods to eat while pregnant.
- Website: PlunketLine
- Phone: 0800 933 922
I live in the Wellington central area and I can’t find a midwife. Who can I contact?
- Contact MATpro – they’ll help you find someone.
- Phone: 04 801 0305
I’m having triplets! Who can I talk to?
- Contact the NZ Multiple Birth Society.
- Website: NZ Multiple Birth Society
- Phone: 0800 489 467
I’ve just started a new job and found out that I’m pregnant – what should I do?
- Contact the Department of Labour for information.
- Website: Department of Labour
- Phone: 0800 20 90 20
I’m pregnant and don’t know whether I want the baby. Who can I talk to?
- Phone Pregnancy Counselling Services. They’re available 24 hours a day.
- Website: Pregnancy Counselling Services
- Phone: 0800 PREGNANT (0800 733 462)