- Services and support
- Health care services
- Disability services
- Am I eligible?
- Needs Assessment Services Coordination
- Equipment and Modification Services
- Hearing and Vision Services
- Behaviour Support
- Child Development
- Community Day Services
- Community Residential Support
- Funded Family Care
- Home and Community Support
- Individualised Funding
- New model for support
- Respite and carer support
- Supported Living
- Disability Information Advisory Services
- Video stories
- Contact us
- Where to go for help
- Certified providers
Accessing Equipment and Modifications Services
If you want help getting equipment and/or funding for modifications that will help you live more safely and independently, you need to contact a specialised assessor. They’ll carry out an assessment of your needs.
Assessors can be contacted via your district health board, NASC agency (Needs Assessment Service Coordination), GP or phone 0800 17 1981.
Specialised assessors can be occupational therapists, physiotherapists, audiologists, speech-language therapists and other hearing and vision professionals.
Assessors can look at ways to help you do your everyday tasks. The specialised assessor:
- may recommend equipment and/or modifications for you
- will check if you can get Ministry of Health funded support, and if so,
- will send an application into Accessable or Enable New Zealand.
They can also advise you of other sources of funding or what options you may be able to buy or change yourself.
- You or a member of your family or whānau, have difficulty doing some everyday activities because of a disability.
- You arrange an assessment with a specialised assessor.
- A specialised assessor carries out an assessment and you can try out some equipment or discuss possible modifications to your home.
- You and the specialised assessor agree on a suitable option for you.
- The specialised assessor sends an application to Accessable or Enable New Zealand if:
- you can get Ministry of Health support
- equipment or modifications are recommended.
- Accessable or Enable New Zealand approve funding for cost-effective solutions to meet your essential needs.
- Accessable or Enable New Zealand arrange for the equipment or modifications for you.
- Some applications are not approved – you can discuss other options with your specialised assessor.
All equipment is provided on loan for as long as you need it. It should be returned when you don’t need it any more. Accessable or Enable New Zealand will arrange to have it collected.
Find out more from the Ministry
View the Service specifications for Equipment and Modification Service providers.
Ministry of Health
Call Free: 0800 DSD MOH
0800 373 664 Free
Fax: 0800 000 838