Wash hands for 20 seconds. Dry hands for 20 seconds.
Steps for clean hands
- Wet your hands under clean running water. Use warm water if available.
- Put soap on your hands and wash for 20 seconds. Liquid soap is best.
- Rub hands together until the soap makes bubbles.
- Rub on both sides of both hands ...
- and in between fingers and thumbs ...
- and round and round both hands.
- Rinse all the soap off under clean running water. Use warm water if available.
- Dry your hands all over for 20 seconds. Using a paper towel is best (or, if at home, a clean dry towel).
Always wash and dry your hands ...
- Eating or preparing food
- Sneezing, coughing or blowing your nose (or wiping children’s noses)
- Gardening (or playing outside for children)
- Having contact with animals
- Going to the toilet or changing nappies
- Looking after sick people