No-one wants pests around. Rodents like rats and mice are a nuisance – and they can even be a source of disease.
There are some simple steps you can take to control these pests, and keep you and your family safe.
It’s best to use a combination of methods to control rodents. Use baits and traps to get rid of them, and remove their food sources to make sure they don’t come back.
Baits and traps
- Poison is an effective way to control rodents and can be purchased from supermarkets and hardware stores. Always read and follow the instructions.
- Rat and mouse traps can also be used and are available from supermarkets and hardware stores too.
Removing food sources
- Store rubbish in secure metal or thick plastic containers with lids.
- Do not leave plastic rubbish bags outside overnight, if possible.
- Keep the inside and outside of your home clear of food scraps and rubbish.
- Do not leave extra pet food out.
Reducing their habitat
- Remove weeds, overgrown grass, rubbish and other materials that could provide hiding places for rodents.
- Secure any gaps or cracks in your home to stop rodents getting in.