Every year over 500 people die by suicide in New Zealand. This has a devastating impact on the lives of the people involved and impacts all of us in some way. The New Zealand Suicide Prevention Strategy 2006–2016, which has guided suicide prevention activity in New Zealand since 2006, has come to an end.
‘A Strategy to Prevent Suicide in New Zealand: Draft for public consultation’ outlines a framework for how we can work together to reduce suicidal behaviour in New Zealand. It also identifies a set of priority areas for action.
How to provide feedback
Consultation is now open until 11 pm, Monday 26 June 2017. Please note that this is two weeks longer than originally announced to allow for everyone interested to provide their feedback.
Full information about making a submission can be found in the submission form.
You can also make a written submission in your preferred format. All submissions that are in scope and received before the consultation period closes will be considered.
Email written submissions to email@example.com or mail a hard copy to:
Suicide Prevention Strategy Consultation
Ministry of Health
PO Box 5013
Public consultation meetings
Public consultation meetings will be held in various locations across the country. The locations and dates of these public consultation meetings are:
- Friday 5 May 2017 in Palmerston North from 10 am – 1 pm, Hotel Coachman, 140 Fitzherbert Avenue
- Monday 8 May 2017 in Christchurch from 10 am – 1 pm, Riccarton Park Function Centre, 165 Racecourse Road
- Tuesday 9 May 2017 in Greymouth from 10 am – 1 pm, Kingsgate Hotel, Mawhera Quay
- Wednesday 10 May 2017 in Timaru from 11 am – 2.30 pm, Caroline Bay Community Lounge, Caroline Bay
- Friday 12 May 2017 in Wellington from 9.30 am – 12.30 pm, The Pines, 50 The Esplanade, Houghton Bay
- Monday 15 May 2017 in New Plymouth from 11 am – 2.30 pm, The Devon Hotel, 390 Devon Street East
- Thursday 18 May 2017 in Hamilton (Māori hui) from 9.30 am – 12.30 pm, Hui Te Rangiora Marae, 89 Clarence Street
- Tuesday 23 May 2017 in Auckland from 1 – 4 pm, Alexandra Park, corner Green Lane West & Manukau Road, Auckland
- Wednesday 24 May 2017 in Auckland (Pacific fono) from 10 am – 2 pm, hosted by Le Va, Harakeke House, 15 Ronwood Ave, Manukau City
- Thursday 25 May 2017 in Kerikeri (Māori hui) from 9.30 am – 12.30 pm, Kerikeri RSA, 37 Cobham Road
- Monday 29 May 2017 in Dunedin from 10.45 am – 1.45 pm, Edgar Centre, 116 Portsmith Drive, Andersons Bay
- Tuesday 30 May 2017 in Whakatane (Māori hui) from 10.30 am – 2.30 pm, Adventure Solutionz, corner Thornton and Golf Links Rd
Please register for the public consultation meetings: online registration form.
For more information about the meetings, see our information sheet (docx, 16 KB).
A number of targeted meetings related to particular population groups, such as Māori, Pacific and LGBTIQ, are also being held with community partners. Details for the Māori hui and Pacific fono can be found in the list above. If you are interested in attending one of the other targeted meetings, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Facilitate your own meeting
We have also prepared information to help you facilitate your own consultation meeting, for example, if you can’t attend a public consultation meeting or want to have a tailored discussion with your networks. For this information see the Facilitator notes (docx, 26 KB). Information gathered at these meetings can be sent to us and will be considered as a submission.