The Guidelines for Drinking-water Quality Management for New Zealand complement the Drinking-water Standards for New Zealand 2005 (revised 2008). They they explain the development of the Standards and provide advice for achieving a high level of water quality management. The Guidelines will help water suppliers to comply with the Standards.
The changes to this edition of the Guidelines are largely scientific and technical in nature, to provide updated information for water suppliers.
For example, there are:
- brief updates on waterborne disease rates
- updated information about costs and benefits
- references to recent Ministry of Health reports and publications.
Download whole document
- Guidelines for Drinking-water Quality Management for New Zealand (Word, 5.7 MB)
- Guidelines for Drinking-water Quality Management for New Zealand (PDF, 7.6 MB)
Download individual chapters
- Chapter 1: Introduction (Word, 199 KB)
- Chapter 2: Management of community supplies (Word, 166 KB)
- Chapter 3: Water sources (Word, 606 KB)
- Chapter 4: Selection of water source and treatment (Word, 465 KB)
- Chapter 5: General microbiological quality (Word, 159 KB)
- Chapter 6: Bacteriological compliance (Word, 1.1 MB)
- Chapter 7: Virological compliance (Word, 122 KB)
- Chapter 8: Protozoal compliance (Word, 254 KB)
- Chapter 9: Cyanobacterial compliance (Word, 341 KB)
- Chapter 10: Chemical compliance (Word, 321 KB)
- Chapter 11: Radiological compliance (Word, 110 KB)
- Chapter 12: Treatment processes, pretreatment (Word, 418 KB)
- Chapter 13: Treatment processes, coagulation (Word, 460 KB)
- Chapter 14: Treatment processes, filtration and adsorption (Word, 315 KB)
- Chapter 15: Treatment processes, disinfection (Word, 346 KB)
- Chapter 16: The distribution system (Word, 394 KB)
- Chapter 17: Monitoring, water treatment and drinking-water (Word, 303 KB)
- Chapter 18: Aesthetic considerations (Word, 129 KB)
- Chapter 19: Small, individual and roof water supplies (Word, 999 KB)
- Appendix 2: Statistical issues that relate to the Drinking-water Standards of New Zealand (Word, 209 KB)
Micro-organisms, and chemical and physical deteminands datasheets
Datasheets for the Guidelines for Drinking-water Quality Management for New Zealand provide background information about each determinand including their sources, environmental forms and fates, typical concentrations either in New Zealand or overseas drinking-water supplies, processes for removing the determinand from drinking-water, analytical methods, health considerations, derivation of the maximum acceptable values (MAVs) for health significant determinands and guideline values for aesthetic determinands, and references for further reading.
Datasheets for determinands of possible health and aesthetic significance and are included for general information.