A Focus on Problem Gambling: Results of the 2006/07 New Zealand Health Survey
This report presents key findings about problem gambling and gambling-related harm in the New Zealand population, from the 2006/07 New Zealand Health Survey.
In particular, the report examines gambling participation, the prevalence of gambling-related harm, other behaviours and health outcomes linked with problem gambling, and the prevalence of experiencing harm from someone's gambling.
Overall, the prevalence of problem gambling in New Zealand adults was 0.4% (about 13,100 adults). Additionally, the prevalence of moderate-risk gambling was 1.3% (representing a further 40,900 people). In total, 1 in 58 adults (1.7%, or 54,000 adults) were experiencing either problem or moderate-risk gambling.
Other key findings of this study include:
- Maori and Pacific people experience more gambling-related harm than other people
- people living in more socioeconomically deprived areas are more affected by gambling-related harm.
this study may help to inform the provision of problem gambling intervention services and public health activity, as the study showed that:
- problem gamblers can be found in both urban and rural areas
- Maori and Pacific people appear to be under-represented in intervention services
- people experiencing gambling problems are more likely than other people to be current smokers, have hazardous drinking patterns, have worse self-rated health, and have a high or very high probability of a mood or anxiety disorder.