Case Finding, Care Coordination and Service Integration for At-Risk Older People
This report is an evaluation of a demonstration site coordinated by Health Workforce New Zealand. A gerontology nurse specialist in primary care identifies at-risk older adults in a GP practice or practices, and coordinates their care.
The evaluation finds the role can:
- systematically screen GP patient lists for at-risk older people
- provide comprehensive and specialist care
- save time for GPs and practice nurses
- improve liaison between health professionals, older people and their families
- potentially reduce emergency department visits and hospital admissions.