Enrolment in a primary health organisation (PHO) is voluntary. Most New Zealanders are however enrolled through their general practice and gain the benefits associated with belonging to a PHO, which can include cheaper doctors’ visits and reduced costs of prescription medicines.
Enrolment information for the public
Most general practices are now part of a PHO. If you are not sure whether your general practice is part of a PHO, you can ask your regular doctor or practice nurse.
To enrol, you will have to complete and sign a form which the doctor, nurse or medical centre receptionist will give you. The form will require you to provide some personal details such as name, age, date of birth, address and ethnicity. The information collected at enrolment is subject to the Privacy Act 1993 and the Health Information Privacy Code 1994, so the privacy of your information is protected.
Information is available on the number of people who are enrolled in a PHO and the demographic details of enrollees by PHO, Lead DHB and DHB of Domicile. Download the latest pivot table of PHO Enrolment Demographics (Excel, 2.83 MB) as at October 2017.
The table below shows the estimated percentage of the total population (based on StatsNZ population projections) who are enrolled in a PHO by ethnicity as at October 2017.
The estimated coverage for the Pacific population is more than 100% as the underlying population comes from Stats NZ population projections and the enrolment number comes from primary care data collection. Detailed information on the number and percentage of the total population who are enrolled in a PHO for each of the 20 district health boards can be found in the spreadsheets below. The information is presented by ethnicity, deprivation, gender and age group for each quarter since October 2015.
- Access to Primary Care as at October 2017 (xlsx, 38 KB)
- Access to Primary Care as at July 2017 (xlsx, 41 KB)
- Access to Primary Care as at April 2017 (xlsx, 41 KB)
- Access to Primary Care as at January 2017 (xlsx, 41 KB)
- Access to Primary Care as at October 2016 (xlsx, 41 KB)
- Access to Primary Care as at July 2016 (xlsx, 41 KB)
- Access to Primary Care as at April 2016 (xlsx, 41 KB)
- Access to Primary Care as at January 2016 (xlsx, 40 KB)
- Access to Primary Care as at October 2015 (xlsx, 41 KB)
Enrolment rules and guidelines
The document Enrolment Requirements for PHOs outlines the enrolment parameters for PHOs, including operational policies and requirements.