The Government intends to introduce an electronic cigarette regulatory scheme. The Ministry of Health is establishing a Technical Expert Advisory Group, Electronic Cigarette Product Safety.
This group will provide advice on the technical aspects of the development of the regulatory scheme, such as appropriate minimum quality and safety standards in the New Zealand context. These standards include manufacturing, ingredients, labelling and packaging.
Members of the group will have:
- an understanding of the international market for alternative tobacco and nicotine-delivery products
- an understanding of the e-cigarette and e-liquid market in New Zealand
- an understanding of the manufacture, importation, and/or retail sale of e-cigarettes and e-liquid
- knowledge of regulatory developments for e-cigarettes and e-liquid internationally
- knowledge of the risks and benefits associated with the use of e-cigarettes
- a consumer perspective on the use of e-cigarettes.