- Mental health and addictions
According to the World Health Organization, mental illness accounts for 15% of the total burden of disease in the developed world, with depression set to become the second leading cause of disability in the world by 2020.
Mental health is a priority health area for Government.
In November 2012, Cabinet approved the 5-year strategy, Rising to the Challenge: The Mental Health and Addiction Service Development Plan 2012–2017 (Rising to the Challenge). This strategy builds on and supports previous strategies.
In this section
- The Ministry is responsible for implementing mental health policy in collaboration with district health boards, and for administrating mental health legislation. Read more
- There are a number of legislative Acts which relate to mental health and addictions. Read more
- Health Workforce New Zealand funds a national infrastructure to develop the skills and knowledge of those working in the mental health and addictions sector. Read more
- There are a number of initiatives and key organisations working in the mental health and addictions sector. Read more