Mental health and addictions
This section provides information about the Ministry's work in the areas of mental health, depression and suicide prevention.
In this section
- The Ministry of Health is tasked with the funding and coordination of problem gambling services. This section covers problem gambling services, the data on their use, and the problem gambling levy. Read more
- The Ministry's mental health work in relation to the Mental Health and Addiction Plan 2010, the National Mental Health Plan (Te Tāhuhu) and the Mental Health Act. Read more
- The National Depression Initiative (NDI) aims to reduce the impact of depression on the lives of New Zealanders by aiding early recognition, appropriate treatment, and recovery. Read more
- This section provides information about the Ministry’s work in the area of suicide prevention, including the New Zealand Suicide Prevention Strategy, Action Plan, and suicide prevention initiatives. Read more
- The National Drug Policy is the guiding document for policy and practices aimed at preventing and reducing drug-related harm in the community. Read more
- Improving Youth Mental Health in New Zealand – The Prime Minister’s project for improved mental health and well-being for young people. Read more
- Publications relating to mental health in New Zealand, including suicide prevention and the National Depression Initiative. Read more
The Programme for the Integration of Mental Health Data (PRIMHD) is a project to create a single collection of national mental health information.
Information for the public on mental health and addictions.