The Ministry of Health’s disability respite strategy, Transforming Respite, will make it easier for carers of disabled people to have a break from their caring responsibilities.
Transforming Respite sets the future direction for improving disability respite support. Changes to the respite model will include:
- flexible respite budgets
- more quality respite options
- taking an investment approach to allocation of support and funding
- easier payment methods
- providing better access to information and support to find respite options.
You can read more about the strategy and download a copy from the Publications page: Transforming Respite: Disability Support Services Respite Strategy 2017 to 2022.
Implementing the strategy
The changes will be implemented across four work streams:
- Flexible respite budgets – includes planning how to administer the funding and communicating the changes with disabled people and their families/whānau.
- New resources – developing easy to read information on how to use a flexible respite budget, and how to find respite options to suit each family situation
- New options – includes a co-design process in each region to identify opportunities to collaborate on facility-based respite and supporting providers to understand what is needed.
- Evaluation – creating an evaluation framework to measure improvements in access to respite and to continually improve its quality.
Priority areas for implementation are:
- making improvements to the administration of Carer Support
- sharing better information online about the respite options available in each region
- running a co-design process in each region to determine whether additional facility-based respite is needed.
If you are interested in providing a facility-based respite service:
- Please email us on email@example.com to let us know your plans and how to contact you.
- We will invite you to the co-design meetings in your region where you will be able to connect with your community and help work out the best way forward.
- Decisions about what facility-based respite services are needed and how they will be set up will be made after the co-design meetings.
To discuss any aspect of the strategy, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.