Information and resources on sexual and reproductive health.
Ministry of Health information
Updated STI management guidelines available (July 2012)
Sexually transmitted infections (STIs) are common in New Zealand. Associated complications include chronic pain, infertility, neonatal morbidity and genital tract cancer. Surveillance data regularly indicates that those aged less than 25 years and non-Europeans show a disproportionate burden of STIS, the highest numbers and rates for each STI are almost always seen in the 15 to 19 years and 20 to 24 years age groups. Primary care practitioners diagnose and treat the majority of STI cases in New Zealand.
Best practice guidelines on the management of STIs are an essential component of effective management of STIs in order to: (a) prevent onward transmission; (b) assist with partner notification; (c) reduce potential health complications; and (d) reduce risk of potential complications associated with development of antibiotic resistance.
STI Surveillance Reports
View the latest STI Surveillance Reports from ESR (Institute of Environmental Science and Research)
- STI Clinic Surveillance: Quarterly Report
- STI Lab Surveillance: Quarterly Report
- STI Surveillance: Annual Report
Chlamydia Management Guidelines (30 July 2008)
The Sexual Health Advisory Group to the Ministry of Health has written Chlamydia Management Guidelines with recommendations for the opportunistic testing and treatment of chlamydia.
The Ministry is planning to pilot implementation of the guidelines. Following analysis of the pilot, changes may be incorporated into the guidelines and hard copies of the guidelines will then be widely distributed nationally.
A two-page summary of the recommendations is also available.
Relevant publications on other sites
HealthEd is a searchable catalogue of resources about key public health topics. The Ministry makes these available to the public, including health professionals, to promote a better understanding of public health and preventative measures that contribute to maintaining public health and wellbeing.
- Being Safer Sexually
- A Compact Guide to Sexual Health
- You and Your Teenager
- Talking with Your Teenager/Rangatahi About Safer Sex
- What are STI Tests?
- What is Genital Herpes?
- Chlamydia: Information Guide
- What is Gonorrhoea?
- What are Genital Warts?
- Are You Sharing More than Just the Love?
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)
- Preventing HIV Infection
- HIV Testing in Pregnancy
- First Aid Precautions for Hepatitis B, HIV/AIDS and Other Blood-Borne Viruses
- Voluntary Counselling and Testing for Diagnosis of HIV Infection
- Health and Safety Information for Sex Workers
- Health and Safety Information for Operators of Businesses of Prostitution
- Information for Clients
- Information for Clients (poster)
- Information for Clients (sticker)
- No Condom, No Sex (poster in Simplified Chinese)