- My DHB
- Key organisations
- Health targets
- Eligibility for public health services
- Claims, provider payments, and entitlements
- Publicly funded health services
Key health sector organisations and people
This section describes key organisations and people in New Zealand’s health and disability system.
Minister of Health
The Minister of Health has overall responsibility for the health and disability system. The Minister’s functions, duties, responsibilities and powers are provided for in the New Zealand Public Health and Disability Act 2000 and other legislation.
- Minister of Health – Hon Tony Ryall
For more information about the work of the Ministers, go to the Health Portfolio page of the NZ Government website.
Ministry of Health
The Ministry of Health is the government’s principal advisor on health and disability policy. For more information about our responsibilities and priorities, go to About us.
In this section
- District health boards (DHBs) are responsible for providing or funding the provision of most health services in their district. Read more
- Crown entities like the Health Quality and Safety Commission are part of New Zealand’s state sector and are responsible to the Minister of Health. Read more
- The National Ambulance Sector Office is a joint office between ACC and the Ministry of Health Read more
- How the Ministry of Health works with non-governmental organisations who provide health and disability services. Read more
- Public health units deliver regional public health services. They focus on environmental health, communicable disease control, tobacco control and health promotion. Read more
- Health alliances are nine networks of primary health care providers and district health boards that are implementing the Government’s ‘Better, Sooner, More Convenient’ care initiatives. Read more
- Primary health organisations (PHOs) support general practices to provide primary health care services. Read more
- Health regulatory authorities are responsible for specific health professions. They describe scopes of practice, issue annual practising certificates and more. Read more
- Health committees provide the Minister of Health with independent expert advice and offer a forum for representatives of the sector to have a role in decision-making. Read more
- Appointment of members to statutory authorities including crown entities, district health boards, professional regulatory bodies and ministerial health committees. Read more